Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Unicorn, Heraldic Symbol of Scotland


This morning I was following my Scottish curiosities, and I found several versions of Scotland's coats of arms (one of which I posted prior to this). And I thought it was very interesting (seriously, a whole lot more than just a "bit" interesting) that Scotland's heraldic symbol is that of the unicorn!

So I followed my curiosities some more. . . .

The unicorn is the only "fabulous beast" that was not conceived out of human fears. It's fierce, yet good. . . .selfless, yet solitary. . . .and mysteriously beautiful. They are captured only by unfair means (which is, no doubt, why they are pictured in chains), and, most importantly, their single horn is said to neutralize poison!
OK, so why does all of this information amaze me?

Back in 1991, when I was first diagnosed with my colon cancer, Bernie Siegel's book "Love, Medicine, and Miracles" had a life changing impact on me and how I approach cancer. His book is about "healing with love," and I listened to the visualization meditations several times a day during the wait until surgery, then for a very long time after, and I would still listen to them if I had a CD version of them.

But one of the ways these meditations work with exceptional cancer patients is to "guide" the listener to choose some form of metaphor that does something to the cancer. Some people might choose a lion, for example, to "eat" the cancer, or another might choose a vial of poison to pour on the cancer; each person intuitively chooses the healing metaphor that works for them (and fits with their personal life philosophy and values).

Me? I chose the unicorn! I didn't want to approach my cancer as the enemy, because even though it was "cancer," it was still a part of me, a part of my very own flesh and blood. So I chose the unicorn's healing power to rub its magic horn on the cancer and transform the cancer with love and warmth into vital, healthy tissue. . . .which I believe is a significant reason why I am still alive today. . . .having now survived three different cancers!

Aye, the unicorn is a most important ally, indeed!

So I am enlivened this morning, and envigorated to find this amazing connection between my very powerful healing ally and the national symbol of Scotland! And now I am feeling this terrible and irresistable pull to drop absolutely everything, as soon as humanly possible, and get on that plane to Scotland. . . .the land of the healing unicorns!