Monday, February 14, 2011

Pet Passport!

Back in grad school when I was going to backpack through Ireland and Scotland for the summer, I hadn't even thought to question Shadow coming with me. But as the time drew near, I learned that Scotland had a mandatory SIX month quarantine for all pets! Needless to say, we didn't go backpacking that summer :(

The funny thing about technology, though, is that you never know what has changed! I have been making this five year plan in part because I figured by then my cat Sarra would be up in pet heaven. And I also knew that I couldn't even consider taking on the responsibility of another dog (if I wanted to spend time in Scotland).

Or so I thought!

Today I found many websites on international pet travel and this new concept of a "pet passport." It's not a passport like we have as humans, but more of a data collection file that travels with the pet, a pet that has been inserted with a very special internationally accepted microchip for proof positive identification. But if I start the process six months before going to Scotland, and follow the required steps, there is no reason why my cat (or even a new dog!) couldn't fly over for the adventure with me!

So even though Shadow is no longer with me, he continues to travel with me in spirit, and I know that when I finally arrive he will be eagerly waiting for me at the airport, wagging his tail with that great big smile in anticipation of our long overdue walkabout through the heathered highlands of Scotland!